5 Reasons morning cardio/workouts rock
I have always been a fan of working out fasted (first thing in the morning) I usually wake up, browse the net and drink a cup of black coffee and then have a workout, which is often a jog if the weather is nice out. This article is going to run over some of the benefits of training this way;
- AM exercise magnifies a positive hormonal response, working out later in the day will enhance cortisol and this is not a good thing before you hit the sack.
- Food releases insulin which blunts fat burning. When you wake Insulin is at its lowest allowing the most fat to be burnt.
- Cardio in the morning wakes you up and gets your body in action for the day, flushing out your lymphatic system and ensuring a flow of energy.
- It will activate your lean and hungry adaptive mechanism which will burn fat and build muscle, especially if you have a fasted weights workout which hits your back and shoulder area (try sprints and pushups).
- Insulin sensitivity is further improved and fasting is prolonged which can have great health benefits, including improved fat loss without disrupting our hormonal balance.
Those are reason enough and with summer you have no excuse to hit the park/road and have a morning workout.
From my own experience I find that doing weight training when totally fasted should be done but be careful not to go too hard as it can compromise your mood and well being. Try a short and intense weights workout without too much volume that does not take longer than 30 minutes. Check out this article on Kelly Frankson’s site for some more reading on the topic.