With the Holidays coming there are bound to be times you need to detox your body, not only because of the partying that will happen but the fact that we are subjected to a vast amount of bugs and viruses are likely to cause cold’s and flu’s unless we take care of ourselves and detox our bodies. So on top of maintaining your immunity here are some tips you can do to keep your body detoxing and flushing out all the bad stuff……
Sweat it out
Sweating is the main way your body rids it self of toxins, it has been an age old tradition and it makes a lot of sense….
The sweat lodge has been used by the indigenous population of the Americas all the way from the Eskimos south to the Mayans. Sweat lodges were used for everything from cure for illness and aching muscles to ridding oneself of evil spirits.
So we have 2 main options for sweating the first is obviously sports, the trouble comes in winter when its cold outside and hard to work a sweat. I find that runs/sprints that would have had me dripping wet in the summer do not have nearly the same effect in the cold temperatures; sure i’ll sweat but nothing like the amounts needed to detox…So my reccomendations for breaking a winter detox sweat are as follows;
– Try some Hot Bikram Yoga this is yoga done in a heated room (near sauna temperatures) and it really works up a sweat plus it helps mobility and balance/co-ordination. There is no need to do it more than once a week but its definitely something worth squeezing into your training schedule especially suring the winter months…..
– If your lucky enough to have access to a sauna make use of it, they are not only great for detoxing but allow you to get 10 minutes to unwind releasing all the tension from your muscles.
Making the body sweat using dry saunas helps rid the body of toxic metals that exist in our environment assisting the kidneys in detoxifying the entire body. The sauna is also better to use if weight loss is desired due to the fact that it is harder on the body and burns additional calories. This is thanks to the heat raising your metabolism for a few hours after the sauna as it is heated up and trying to cool down….
– Or last resort is just to do some cardio in the gym. I normally don’t reccomend treadmill time but if you do it right it can make for a great workout and get you sweating. Try 15 minutes of intervals on 3 different machines. I like to Start with the Rowing machine, do a few sets of sprints on a treadmill and then head back to the rower for one last push. This makes a great cardio workout and will guarentee some sweat if you go 1 minute on/1 minute off.
Give some of these a try, in my opinion its important to sweat every now and then even if it is only once a week for 10-15 minutes……
After looking into various ways of detoxing I have gotten in the habit of drinking Nettle Tea. Nettle tea has been shown to detoxify the blood and even work as a slight diuretic helping you flush out toxins.
Nettle is said to be extremely beneficial for the kidneys, being useful in expelling gravel from the bladder and dissolving kidney stones. It is a powerful blood purifier that drives out toxins and metabolic wastes by stimulating the kidneys to excrete more water. Nettle tea is said to clean out the entire intestinal tract while activating the body’s natural defense mechanisms.
I have grown to love the stuff and start most morning with a cup mixed with the juice of half a lemon. Nettle tea is something everyone should keep in their pantry especially if you live any kind of hedonistic lifestyle, It makes for the best hangover cure……….
Artichoke Extract – This stuff is great and can be picked up as a herbal tincture. Its not expensive but it has a great effect on the liver as a potent detoxifier.
Artichoke helps with healthy liver function. During detoxification of the liver, the toxic substance is often initially converted to an even more toxic form. Without adequate protection, every time the liver neutralizes a toxin, it is damaged in this process. Artichoke extract has been shown to provide these valuable preventitative health benefits and protection.
The key to ridding yourself of these toxins is to keep a healthy liver this article has some great tips to keep your liver in top shape.
Other Random Detox Tips
Here are a bunch of other random detox tips that have helped me and I am sure can help you detox over the coming weeks.
– As Always try and get plenty of sleep, its so important and one of the most neglected things in society today.
– If there are 2 Supplements you should take year round they are Fish Oil and ZMA these aren’t exactly detox specifics but they will help you feel better all year round.
– Keep your gut healthy! picking up a bottle of high quality Pro-Biotics once or twice a year and taking a course is a great way to clean out the system.