Sounds like some hokey gimmick doesn’t it? Too good to be true. Nope. Nothing hokey here. No hypnosis tricks or special meditation practice. Use your mind and lose 4 pounds in a month and change NOTHING else…no extra diet or exercise. Just a simple change in the way you eat…use your mind and be conscious to what is going into your mouth instead of going on autopilot.
Have you ever eaten while standing up? Do eat while working? How about in the car on the way to work or to your next appointment? Do you snack while cooking? Do you throw away what your kids don’t eat or do you finish it for them? When you serve up a meal, do you take an extra bite or two from the pot or pan? Ever eat out of a box or a bag? If you can answer “yes” to at least one of those, then it’s likely you have eaten without being conscious to what what’s going into your mouth or more importantly, how much. By doing any one of these or more on a regular basis could keep you from losing weight or even contribute to weight gain.
That basket of chips on the table at a Mexican restaurant does it to me every time. Put a basket in front of me and get me talking and who knows how many chips I’ll consume until the server comes to the table and asks if we want our empty bowl refilled! This is what I’m talking about. You can save anywhere from 100-500 calories per day if you just make every meal a mindful meal. Here are 7 ways to use your mind to lose weight.
- Sit down for your meal and don’t do anything else except eat. This will help you notice when you are satisfied so you don’t over eat. Plus, you’ll enjoy your food much more.
- Chew gum while cooking and serving up food. This will keep extra food out of your mouth.
- Don’t allow yourself to eat out of the bag or box. If you are going to eat, serve yourself the proper portion on a plate or in a bowl. Then you can see what you are eating and how much you are consuming. You will eat more if you can’t see how much you are eating. A handful here and a handful there adds up quick.
- Keep a food log. This deters extra snacking because you’ll have to log it.
- At a restaurant, when you are satisfied, put your silverware and your napkin over your plate. This will stop you from continuing to eat mindlessly while socializing.
- At a party, don’t stand next to the food. If that’s where your friends are, then have a big glass of water in your hand and keep your hand busy by drinking that water. If you prefer to drink other things, make a rule that you have to drink one glass of water in between every other kind of drink. This will slow you down.
- And as for that chip basket, grab a handful of chips and put it on a napkin in front of you. When the chips off of the napkin are gone, you are done.
Using your mind might be the simplest way to lose weight, but will require some habit changing. Try applying at least one of the 7 ideas above. You’ll be surprised at how often you catch yourself on autopilot.
Image by Saad Faruque